We are excited to announce our new high-definition and lossless classical music streaming and download site – ClassicsOnline HD•LL – which will supersede the existing ClassicsOnline.com effective April 1, 2015 - when purchasing at ClassicsOnline.com will be completely disabled. Please note that new registrations are required for www.ClassicsOnlineHD.com.
ClassicsOnline HD•LL offers a much better listening experience than the "old" ClassicsOnline or other download services. All albums are offered in a variety of 16-bit "lossless" (CD quality) formats, with many of those also available in 24-bit "High Definition" (HD), or master tape quality. We are actively working with all of our labels to increase the number of albums available in HD.
Each of the nearly 60,000 albums available for download can also be streamed on all of your devices (desktop/laptop PC or Mac; iPhone or iPad; Android device) for just US$14.99 per month. You, of course, do not need to pay for a streaming subscription in order to purchase downloads.
Key Features of ClassicsOnline HD•LL (www.classicsonlinehd.com)
- Nearly 60,000 albums from over 500 of the best independent record labels, including: Chandos, Naxos, Harmonia Mundi, BIS, Naïve, Capriccio, LSO Live, PentaTone, Ondine, Delos, Signum Classics, Hungaroton, SDG, and Dynamic.
- "Adaptive bitrate streaming" in lossless and high-definition means you receive the highest possible sound quality for your connection.
- No loss of signal due to buffering
- Advanced search engine specifically designed for classical music
- Album artwork, liner notes and libretti available
- All albums available for streaming and download in lossless (CD) quality. Many of those are available in HD (master tape) quality.
- Create your own playlists which will be available on all your devices
- SUBSCRIBE to the streaming service today and the first 28 days will be absolutely free!
Downloading Albums on ClassicsOnline HD•LL
For purchasing downloads, you may use any of the major credit cards (VISA, MasterCard, Discover, American Express) or use PayPal. Currently, we do not support credit cards for streaming subscriptions—only PayPal.
We strongly suggest that listeners use the ClassicsOnline HD•LL desktop or laptop app instead of a browser window—especially if you purchase album downloads. Once installed, you can listen using this application and do not need to open a browser window. You can pin the "app" to the taskbar of your computer, in the same way that you can with other well-known music services.
The app also allows you to have much the same experience when processing downloads as you had on the old ClassicsOnline.
Here's how it works:
Click on the download, and follow the instructions to install the app.
Once installed, go to your desktop, right click on the app, and pin it to your taskbar.
Double click on the app to open ClassicsOnline HD•LL
Choose "Log In," if you've already signed up, or "Sign Up" (top right of the screen) to create a new account. This one-time sign-up allows our technical staff to trouble shoot your particular issue—if you should ever have one—quickly and efficiently. It will also allow you to stream music with ClassicsOnline HD•LL open in a browser window. Check the tickbox 'Get Email Updates' if you wish to receive weekly email newsletters, and other special offers from us, or you can opt-in to our mailing list anytime later.
It is not necessary to log back into the site each time you wish to "preview" (listen to the first 30 seconds of a track) or purchase albums.
Once you’ve installed the app and are logged in, you can preview tracks and purchase downloads easily. Click on the album you wish to purchase, click on the "download" icon, then follow the prompts:
- Pay using either your PayPal account or a major credit card
- When you are returned to the album download screen, click "download" again
- Check "select all" (to select all tracks), select your favored format from the dropdown, then click on the "get downloads" icon
- Choose the folder on your computer where you want the album placed, and click 'OK'
- When all tracks have finished processing, the album folder will appear in the folder that you had designated, and it will contain all tracks, the album cover, and the liner notes
The old ClassicsOnline required that you install a "download manager," but the new ClassicsOnline HD•LL does not. You may, of course, play your downloaded albums using your computer's music player (or one that you have already installed on your computer), by going directly to the album track in your computer's hard drive folder.
But even better, your album purchases will also appear as "Purchased Albums" in the ClassicsOnline HD•LL app itself, where you can stream them through the high-quality ClassicsOnline HD•LL music player (designed especially for playing lossless formats). You do not need a streaming subscription in order to stream your downloads.
In addition, your downloaded albums will automatically be available to stream on your mobile devices once you’ve purchased the downloads using your laptop or desktop computer. No transfer between your computer and mobile device is necessary.
The catalogues of over 500 independent classical labels are currently represented on ClassicsOnline HD•LL. By early summer 2015, the Sony Classics catalogue, with over 6,000 albums, will be the first of the major labels to be available on ClassicsOnline HD•LL.
We look forward to serving you at ClassicsOnline HD•LL!