Your Classical Music Download Source
ClassicsOnline is a dedicated music download service offering nearly 27,000 albums and about half a million tracks from a comprehensive catalog of classical, jazz, blues, folk and world music. Naxos, the leading independent classical music label, launched ClassicsOnline in May 2007 to serve as classical music enthusiasts’ go-to resource for digital downloads, the latest releases and artist spotlights. Only last April 20, 2009, ClassicsOnline launched a richer, faster and easy-to-navigate 2.0 site. With all its new site features, it promises to offer even more, such as lossless FLAC downloads, multi-language support, creating your own playlist and wish list amongst many others will soon be available. ClassicsOnline’s entire catalog is digital rights management (DRM) free and available at no less than 320 kbps bitrate/quality. The site features more than 100 independent labels as of April 30, 2009 with more labels being added every month.
- Over 10,000 unique visitors a day
- Almost 60,000 members to date
- Nearly 1 Million pageviews every month
- 20-fold revenue increase (U.S. sales) within a year of launching
- UK and European sales both increased four-fold within one year of launching
- ClassicsOnline is dedicated to creating and maintaining the best classical music search criteria available on any downloading site.
- ClassicsOnline celebrated its one-year anniversary by updating its entire catalog to 320 kbps. Richer and more detailed in sound compared to lower bitrate files, ClassicsOnline mp3s and CD tracks are virtually indistinguishable in sound quality. Now, with ClassicsOnline 2.0, lossless FLAC downloads will soon be offered too.
- All tracks are DRM free. DRM encoding, found in music available from iTunes and Rhapsody (among others), may prevent listeners from burning tracks to discs, and in some cases, cause compatibility conflicts with certain mp3 players.
- Customers can purchase single tracks or entire albums.
- Free sampling of any track.
- Single tracks starting at $.99 each
- Albums range from $6.99 to $9.99 USD.
- Most double-disc albums cost $13.98.
- There are no registration fees or hidden charges and credit card information is not required to register.
- ClassicsOnline was named among the top three out of 13 music download sites in an article that appeared October 12, 2008 in the San Francisco Examiner authored by independent classical music expert, writer, professor, and musician Scott Foglesong.
- ClassicsOnline continues to add rare repertoire that is not available from either retail or other download stores. ClassicsOnline plans to offer the widest spectrum of recorded classical music available.
- The new ClassicsOnline’s easy-to-navigate homepage alerts readers to its latest releases, top selling albums, tracks and audiobooks, album reviews from a wide range of publications, weekly features and special offers and a weekly complimentary track.
- More than 500 new albums are added to the site each month.
- Exclusive download manager that allows users to download multiple files with one click and easily select where on their desktop the files will be stored.
- Customers can earn store credit for their own purchases and those made by others they refer to ClassicsOnline.
- Themed discounts typically center around a “featured label.” Vanguard Classics favorites were recently available for $7.99. Regional “themed” discounts will soon be offered.
- Audiobooks of classic literature – read by today’s finest actors – are now now available for downloading and arranged by bestselling titles and ClassicsOnline’s own recommendations. Contemporary fiction, nonfiction, drama, junior classics and poetry are showcased.
- The store’s user-friendly advanced search feature allows customers to search for music by artist, composer, genre and label. They can further narrow queries by specifying country of composer or music origin, instrument and classical music period.
- ClassicsOnline’s free registration gives customers access to exclusive, complimentary tracks and news/industry updates and special offers via email.
- Immediately after announcing its new 320 kbps catalog in November 2008, ClassicsOnline offered customers who downloaded music at lower bitrates to upgrade their tracks to 320 kbps free of charge.
* * *
Naxos, parent company of ClassicsOnline, has been focused on maintaining its value- and customer-focused philosophy since Klaus Heymann founded the company in 1987. It has become the world's leading classical music label, garnering awards from major music publications such as Gramophone, numerous Editor's Choices, GRAMMY nominations and awards, nominations and wins for the Cannes Classical Awards, and AFIM nominations and awards. Naxos offers music lovers a veritable encyclopedia of music at an affordable price. With offices in 12 countries, the company’s properties include: www.Naxos.com, www.classicsonline.com, www.NaxosMusicLibrary.com, www.NaxosRadio.com and www.NaxosSpokenWordLibrary.com.
- NAXOS’ PREMIER DOWNLOAD SITE, CLASSICSONLINE, HONORED WITH MIDEM’S “CLASSICAL DOWNLOAD AWARD”
(December 21, 2009)
- Naxos’s Premier Download Site, ClassicsOnline, Launches World’s Largest, Online Collection of 320-kbps, DRM-Free Classical Music – Nearly 22,000 Albums
(November 3, 2008)
- ClassicsOnline First Anniversary Celebrations
(July 1, 2008)
- ClassicsOnline Launch