ClassicsOnline is a dedicated music download service offering over 50,000 albums and over 1 Million tracks from a comprehensive catalogue of classical, classic jazz, blues, folk and world music. Naxos, the leading independent label of classical music, launched ClassicsOnline in May 2007 to serve as classical music enthusiasts’ go-to resource for digital downloads, the latest releases and artist spotlights.
ClassicsOnline’s entire catalog is digital rights management (DRM) free and available at no less than 320 kbps bitrate/quality. The site features more than 300 independent labels with more labels being added every month.
Classicsonline offers a wide range of classical music from the world's leading
independent labels as well as a good selection of classic jazz, blues and folk recordings [not available in the United States] and a representative collection
of world music.
- Over 50,000 albums and more than 1 Million tracks
- More than 500 new albums are added to the site each month
- Over 300 Independent Labels
- Core labels include: BIS, Chandos, Hanssler, CPO, Dacapo, Marco Polo, Naxos, Profil, Ondine, , Danacord and Wigmore Hall
- Customers can purchase single tracks or entire albums.
- Free sampling of any track.
- Single tracks starting at $.99 each
- Albums range from $6.99 to $9.99 USD.
- Most double-disc albums cost $13.98.
- There are no registration fees or hidden charges and credit card information is not required to register.
- ClassicsOnline is dedicated to creating and maintaining the best classical music search criteria available on any downloading site.
- ClassicsOnline celebrated its one-year anniversary by updating its entire catalog to 320 kbps. Richer and more detailed in sound compared to lower bitrate files, ClassicsOnline mp3s and CD tracks are virtually indistinguishable in sound quality. Now, with ClassicsOnline 2.0, lossless FLAC downloads will soon be offered too.
- All tracks are DRM free. DRM encoding, found in music available from iTunes and Rhapsody (among others), may prevent listeners from burning tracks to discs, and in some cases, cause compatibility conflicts with certain mp3 players.
- ClassicsOnline won the coveted Midem Award for ‘Best Classical Download Site in 2010.
- ClassicsOnline continues to add rare repertoire that is not available from either retail or other download stores. ClassicsOnline plans to offer the widest spectrum of recorded classical music available.
- The new ClassicsOnline’s easy-to-navigate homepage alerts readers to its latest releases, top selling albums, tracks and audiobooks, album reviews from a wide range of publications, weekly features and special offers and a weekly complimentary track.
- More than 500 new albums are added to the site each month.
- Exclusive download manager that allows users to download multiple files with one click and easily select where on their desktop the files will be stored.
- Customers can earn store credit for their own purchases and those made by others they refer to ClassicsOnline.
- Themed discounts typically center around a “featured label.” Vanguard Classics favorites were recently available for $7.99. Regional “themed” discounts will soon be offered.
- Audiobooks of classic literature – read by today’s finest actors – are now now available for downloading and arranged by bestselling titles and ClassicsOnline’s own recommendations. Contemporary fiction, nonfiction, drama, junior classics and poetry are showcased.
- The store’s user-friendly advanced search feature allows customers to search for music by artist, composer, genre and label. They can further narrow queries by specifying country of composer or music origin, instrument and classical music period.
- ClassicsOnline’s free registration gives customers access to exclusive, complimentary tracks and news/industry updates and special offers via email.
- Immediately after announcing its new 320 kbps catalog in November 2008, ClassicsOnline offered customers who downloaded music at lower bitrates to upgrade their tracks to 320 kbps free of charge.